Surgery of the Nose (Rhinoplasty)
What is Rhinoplasty?
Cosmetic surgery of the nose (rhinoplasty) is a surgical procedure that improves the appearance of the nose. Cosmetic surgery of the nose may be performed to correct the following:
- Nose size
- Nose width
- Nose profile (reduce nose hump)
- Nose tip
- Nostrils that are wide
- Nasal asymmetry
The following candidates would be considered for cosmetic surgery of the nose:
- Healthy adults with no serious medical illnesses.
- People who do not smoke or are willing to discontinue smoking (as smoking is recognized to affect healing).
- Individuals with realistic expectations.
Where do I Start?
An initial consultation with Dr. Thoma is a good point to start. In this consultation, you will be informed about the procedure, and how this will enhance your appearance. The consultation will include:
- A discussion of your expectations and an assessment of your nose.
- A discussion of the various techniques available for cosmetic surgery of the nose and approaches to your problem.
- The expected outcome from this type of surgery and the possible complications.
- The general plan for the surgery.
At this consult, you will also be given the opportunity to ask any relevant questions regarding the procedure.
The Evaluation Process
The success for the surgery will depend to a great degree on your outlook on like and your physical health. These will be assessed during the initial consultation and in subsequent visits. The overall success of the surgery will also depend on the following:
- Sharing your honest expectations with Dr. Thoma.
- Fully disclosing your physical and mental medical history, and any prescribed or “off the shelf” medications you take including herbal or vitamin supplements, alcohol, smoking or other drugs.
- Your commitment to listen and follow Dr. Thoma’s recommendations and advice.
Safety in Nose Surgery
If you follow Dr. Thoma’s instructions, then you will have taken an important step to ensure a safe procedure. Dr. Thoma is a certified plastic surgeon by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada. This certification designates surgeons who trained in plastic and cosmetic surgery.
My Nose Surgery
Since cosmetic surgery of the nose is a very individualized procedure, Dr. Thoma will discuss which procedure will suit you best. This surgery can have a very dramatic improvement in your appearance. The following may also be discussed at the time of consultation:
- Alteration of the nasal bridge
- Reshaping the nasal bridge
- Reducing the shape or width of the nose
- Reshaping the nasal tip
- Reducing the width or size of the nostrils
- Adjusting the angle between the nose and upper lip
Preparation for Cosmetic Surgery of the Nose
Dr. Thoma will explain the operation that you and he agreed will most likely provide you with the best cosmetic result. You will be given a prescription of an antibiotic and pain medications so you don’t have to worry about it on the day of the surgery. You will be told which activities are permissible and which are not after the surgery and for how long. You will also be educated on the post-operative care of your nose. Instructions will be given to you on what to do in the event of an unlikely complication, such as infection or bleeding.
Expectation After Cosmetic Surgery of the Nose
The surgery will take place at St. Joseph’s Hospital. You will be going home the same day after recovering from surgery. To protect and support your nose after surgery, a splint will be placed on your nose. Occasionally, packing will be placed inside your nose.
After surgery, the splint and packing are in place, as explained above. You will be accompanied home by one of your relatives or friends. You will be given an appointment for the next office visit, usually within 72 hours to remove the packing. The nasal split usually stays in place for about seven days. You will be given instructions on how to care for the surgical site. Follow-up appointments will also be given at this time.
The recovery and healing process is a gradual one. You are expected to be up walking around the same day as the surgery. You need to avoid strenuous activities until you recover. Full unrestricted sports activities usually resume within 4 – 6 weeks from the date of surgery.
The result of your cosmetic nose surgery will appear slowly over time, once all the swelling has subsided. This may take up to 4 – 6 weeks.
These are photos of Dr. Thoma’s patients. Written consent has been obtained to use them.